This week, the Office of Catholic Schools issued a letter to all families following Monday’s tragedy in Nashville.
As School Safety continues to dominate the headlines, we are providing the following information to remind members of the Saint Mary’s community about the leadership structures and processes that exist to keep our students and parish members as safe as possible.
We are committed to the constant review and improvement of our School Safety and Crisis Management Plan. Anyone wishing to share feedback or support is encouraged to contact Amanda Esparza.
SMCS Crisis Management Team [Updated October 2023]
- Amanda Esparza, Principal
- Robyn Dahl, Assistant Principal
- Lisa Flint, Administrative Assistant to the Principal
- Anne Leigh Bisese, Admissions Director
- Katie Botha, Communications Coordinator
- Carli Simpson, School Nurse
- Kelly Jones, School Nurse & Medical Reserve Corps Volunteer (Greater Richmond)
- Anna Borrelli, School Counselor
- Beth Murray, Instructional Resource Teacher
- Dawn Slagle, Instructional Resource Teacher
Partnerships, Professional Training & Safety Drills
Our School and Parish are blessed with a strong relationship with members of the Henrico Police Department and the University of Richmond Campus Police who have participated in the audit and design of current School Safety Plans and ongoing Professional Training sessions for faculty and staff members.
School Safety drills are conducted on a regular basis in accordance with diocesan and state requirements. Teachers are provided with resources and required to lead age-appropriate classroom conversations about safety drills and expectations. Families have also been provided with optional discussion resources (in English and Spanish) and are notified when Safety Drills are conducted on campus.
This evening, we are conducting a Self-Defense Workshop for students in Grades 4-8 and will continue to develop safety themed community programming in accordance with demand and resources.