On Wednesday, October 16th, Saint Mary’s school will take a collection during School Mass as requested by the Diocesan Office of Catholic Schools. Please talk to your student about the purpose of this collection. Teachers will be discussing the collection in class as well in an effort to provide background information to the students. Our students are so caring and generous in so many ways, and this is one opportunity for them to join with other students in the Diocese to assist those in need right here in Virginia. Thank you!
Dear School Administrators, Religion Coordinators and Campus Ministers,
Deacon Bob Griffin is in charge of the Society of the Propagation of the Faith in our diocese. This summer he formed a committee to explore ideas on how to educate our students about the wonderful work that this organization does in helping the disadvantaged and underserved populations in the world and especially in our own diocese. Bishop DiLorenzo has approved a program to bring this awareness to the students in our schools and has designated October 14th to 18th as World Mission Week. There are two targets for this week: AWARENESS and ACTION.
- The purpose is to educate students on the importance of reaching out to those who are less fortunate.
- Material and activities to assist teachers can be found on the following websites: http://www.hcakids.org and http://www.onefamilyinmission.org/images/stories/pdf./hca/MissionEducationGuidelines.pdf
- The diocesan committee for the Society for the Propagation of the Faith decided to focus our help on a local need, the Health Wagon – A premier deliverer of health services in the Appalachian Mountains. More about the Health Wagon can be found in the attachments.
- What are we requesting??? Within your school community plan to have an activity that can generate donations that will help to fund a new and needed Health Wagon, such as a tag day.
- Please send a check payable to Society of the Propagation of the Faith to Deacon Bob Griffin at the Diocese and he will send the entire amount to the Health Wagon organization.
- Please send the checks to Deacon Bob by October 30, 2013.
Thank you for your assistance in spreading the Good News of caring for those in need.