Mission and Purpose of the PTO
At Catholic schools in the Diocese of Richmond, the Parent-Teacher Organization (PTO) serves four main purposes:
- Support and promote quality Catholic Education
- Encourage Catholic Standards of Family Life
- Share with teachers the values that parents are attempting to develop with children
- Provide a means by which parents may raise funds to help benefit the school
Ways that the mission of the PTO may be carried out include the following:
- Holding functions that complement family life such as the Kickoff Cookout, the Dad’s Chili Cookoff, the Lenten Fish Fries, and Spirit Nights..
- Volunteering in the classroom and around school so that teachers will get to know you.
- Holding events such as the Spring Gala to raise money and supplement the funds that come from tuition, the parish, and the annual fund.
Each Saint Mary’s parent and teacher is automatically a member of the PTO. No dues or signups are required. An executive board recommends programs consistent with Diocesan guidelines and school policy that contribute to the fulfillment of the PTO’s purpose.