New for fall 2023! The soft shell embroidered jacket.
Uniforms are made available through Flynn O’Hara. Call ahead for store hours:
Flynn & O’Hara
9708 Midlothian Turnpike
Richmond, VA 23235
Please note: Flynn O’Hara’s Saint Mary’s order page does not have a Junior Kindergarten option listed. You can choose “K” for Kindergarten. Both grades have the same uniform expectations.
Spirit Fridays & Tag Day Dress
The only exceptions to students being in uniform are Spirit Fridays or when a “TAG” day is granted by the Principal or Pastor.
- On Spirit Fridays, students are permitted to wear a St. Mary’s t-shirt or sweatshirt. This might include St. Mary’s merchandise, spirit wear or Field Day shirts. The rest of the daily uniform remains the same.
- Students will be notified of any special occasions when they are allowed to wear non-uniform “TAG” day clothing.
- Tag Days are a privilege, not a student right. Details regarding TAG Day expectations can be found in the Student Parent Handbook.
Uniform News – 2022 Design Update
We are pleased to continue our partnership with Flynn O’Hara with the release a “refreshed” school logo and athletics logo that will be featured on all uniform elements going forward. More details and ordering information is available at the bottom of this page. You can also sign up for news and discounts from Flynn O’Hara here.
Please note that uniform elements with older branding will be permitted for two years before they are phased out in Fall 2024. All elements of the girls’ formal (mass) uniform remain the same.
Saint Mary’s Catholic School requires all students to dress in uniform on all days.
- The dress code applies to all students as long as they are on school grounds or at school-sponsored activities; including field trips.
- Students should present a neat appearance. No sloppy dress is permitted.
- Shirts must be buttoned, except for top button, and neatly tucked in at all times.
- Clothing should be clean, unwrinkled, devoid of holes, and not faded, torn, or frayed.
- Pants and skirts must be worn above the hips.
- No baggy, oversized, or excessively tight clothing.
- No sweatshirts/sweaters worn around the waist.
- Undergarments must not show through uniform parts.
Dirty Buc Oxfords with red rubber sole or Athletic Shoes with velcro or laces that meet the requirements of black, navy, gray or white with minimal white accents. Middle School students also have the option of wearing Brown Sperry Top-Siders. Examples of these requirements can be found in our Uniform Guide.
Jewelry / Piercings
- One cross, religious charm or medal, one ring, one bracelet, and a watch are permissible.
- Only necklaces with a religious medal/theme or cross may be worn.
- Chokers, large bracelets, necklaces and thumb rings are not acceptable.
- No visible body piercings are allowed except for girls, which are allowed one single stud earring in each ear. No hoop, dangling, or French loop earrings are permitted. No tongue piercings are permitted.
- No chains or studded jewelry of any kind may be worn to school or at any school-sponsored event/trip.
- Due to the potential for lost items, younger children are strongly discouraged from wearing jewelry.
- No shoe jewelry is permitted.
- Hair should be groomed away from the face so as not to cover the face.
- No hair dying, chunking, or streaking.
- No shaved or intentionally bald heads. No designs are to be shaven into hair.
- No “skater cuts”, spiked hair, or tails.
- Hair must not extend over the ears or below the top of the shirt collar.
- Ponytails are not allowed.
- Sideburns must be straight, trimmed, and must not extend beyond the lowest opening of the ear.
- Bangs should not extend past the eyebrows.
- Students must be cleanly shaven every day (no mustaches, beards, or goatees).
- Conservative hair clips are allowed (dark blue, white, etc.)
- Bandannas, multi-colored ribbons, etc. are not permitted.
Makeup / Nail Polish
- No makeup is allowed to be worn.
- Nail polish or artificial fingernails are not permitted.
- Visible tattoos are not permitted.
Uniform Exchange Closet
Until further notice, we are not accepting any more used uniforms. Future uniform exchange plans will be announced by the PTO and occur regularly in the SMCS Community Facebook Group.