Saint Mary’s is deeply saddened by the death of Mrs. Hazel Lewane, former principal of Saint Mary’s School. Mrs. Lewane’s Times-Dispatch obituary notes that Mrs. Lewane was Principal for 14 years prior to her retirement in 2001, and has since been a member of the school community as adviser, substitute teacher, and grandparent of recently graduated students.
In honor of Mrs. Lewane, and to allow teachers, staff and families to attend her funeral on Friday at 1:00 PM, Saint Mary’s School will have an early (11:50 AM) dismissal day on Friday, September 5th. Details of this early dismissal include:
- Lunch will be served in the classrooms, allowing the entire school to eat at the same time, at 11:30 AM.
- Please, if you have not ordered the pizza lunch, pack a nut-free lunch that will be eaten in the classroom.
- Students assigned to the allergen-free lunch table will report to the cafeteria for lunch, rather than the classroom, and will be dismissed directly from the lunchroom.
- Extended care will be available from 11:50 AM to 2:50 PM. If your student(s) is to remain at Saint Mary’s for extended care, please notify the homeroom teacher of your intentions by Thursday afternoon. If notification is not made, it will be assumed that you will be picking up the student following the regular carpool procedures at 11:50 AM on Friday.
- After School Care will follow the normal routine for Friday from 2:50 PM to 6:00 PM.
Students and families are welcome to attend the 1:00 PM requiem Mass, however, students must be accompanied by a parent, or have a parent’s written permission to attend under the supervision of another adult.
Recognizing the inconvenience of this early dismissal day, Saint Mary’s greatly appreciates the cooperation and support of parents as we grieve the loss of our beloved colleague, friend, and educator.